An addition to the Bruce II Sports Centre, the pool was constructed 2002 and quickly became a welcomed amenity to the community. After nearly 20 years since the former pool was closed, the new facility has been embraced by all residents. The pool has certified lifeguards on duty at all times with swim lanes, a waterslide, hot tub and swim aides available.
The Bruce II Sports Centre pool is also home to the Port aux Basques Piranha Swim Club. This organization is an all age group that began in 2003. Membership has grown since inception to include over 20 swimmers ranging in age from 6 to 18. The Piranha Swim Club is a non-profit organization operated under the direction of a volunteer executive and coaches, with programs running from September to May of each year. The club is a member of Swim Newfoundland and Labrador and Swim Canada.
Adult – 18 years and over
Senior – 55 years and over
Child – Under 13 years
Student – 13-17 years
Notes for pool sessions:
• Rental times are available upon request.
• Guards may put in a lane at their discretion during an open swim or for the purpose of private lesson instruction.
• There are two lanes available during the Adult Swim.
• Lap Swims are open to anyone wishing to just swim laps regardless of age.
• There are four lanes available during the Early Bird Swim.
• Water Aerobics is for ANYONE interested, male or female, young or old.
• Water running takes place in the deep end of the pool with the aid of a flotation belt and a bungee cord to keep you in one place. This is a non-impact activity.
• There are two lanes available during the senior swims.
• Children must be accompanied by an adult over the age of 18 during a family swim.
• Open swims’ are available to the general public
• There are two lanes available during noon swims and this swim is open to the general public as well.
• Each swim will conclude with 10 minutes left to allow lifeguards efficient time to adjust lanes as well as clean up if necessary.
Swimming Pool: (709) 695-3131
Pool Recording: (709) 695-2530
Fax: (709) 695-7683